Since nobody reads mobile-l

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jon Robson <jdlrob...@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, Jun 8, 2013 at 4:17 AM
Subject: [WikimediaMobile] Number crunching: Upload errors on mobile
To: mobile-l <mobil...@lists.wikimedia.org>

I ran some data crunching on a sample of 4429 photo uploads from
mobile web. In this sample 2821 uploads succeeded and 36% (1608/4429)
of attempted uploads failed. This is very high and unacceptable.

Looking closely 53% of all errors were due to problems with invalid or
'anonymous' tokens. This will occur when the client is unable to get a
token using CORS from Commons due to not being logged in there.
Luckily Chris Steipp and the rest of the platform team have pushed a
change that should significantly reduce this error:
https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/57662/

CentralAuth related errors (861)
####################################
Anonymous token. 598
Invalid token 263

The next big offender was 'Missing filename' accounting for 22% of all
upload errors. Unfortunately this is ambiguous as it could mean a
variety of things - it simply means that an upload was attempted and
the response didn't report the filename. I've pushed a patch to try to
understand what errors we are running into:
https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/67545

Other errors (467)
###################################
Missing filename 347
This file did not pass file verification 69
Blank error message given 36
The file you submitted was empty 15

There are various other errors all listed below for your enjoyment.
Some due to bad choices of name, permissions problems and attempts to
upload certain file types we do not accept. The good news is we
probably don't want these uploads to succeed as they hint at vandalism
attempts or uploads by poorly educated users.

The server problems section is worth a look though - although a small
percentage "The modification you tried to make was aborted by an
extension hook 61". These errors are occurring on the following wiki
projects:
* sv.m.wikipedia.org
* de.m.wikipedia.org
* test.m.wikipedia.org
* en.m.wikipedia.org
* ar.m.wikipedia.org
* es.m.wikipedia.org
* ja.m.wikipedia.org
* he.m.wikipedia.org
* fr.m.wikipedia.org
* nl.m.wikipedia.org
Any ideas what may be causing that error?

***
Other errors:

Users uploading with bad or unclear filenames (113)
####################################
"titleblacklist-custom-filename" 48
(https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/Template:Titleblacklist-custom-filename/en)
"titleblacklist-forbidden-edit" 37
(https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki_talk:Titleblacklist-forbidden-edit)
Filename exists 25 (I suspect they used a common filename)
Unknown error: "titleblacklist-custom-double-apostrophe" 3

(Out of interest is there any API to check whether a filename will be accepted?)

Server problems (81):
####################################
The modification you tried to make was aborted by an extension hook 61
Database query error 10
An internal error occurred 9
error: Internal Server Error 1

Permission based errors (69)
The "autoconfirmed" right is required to edit this page 36
You have been blocked from editing 25
The "protect" right is required to edit this page 7
Unknown error: "globalblocking-ipblocked" 1

(These users should not be seeing the upload button!)

Users uploading with bad file types (17):

Yuvi Panda T
http://yuvi.in/blog