[cc'ing Joshua Marantz who leads the mod_pagespeed effort at Google, and Ilya
Grigorik, their developer advocate for page performance]

The principals behind mod_pagespeed, especially as they related to mobile
page load performance as outlined in http://bit.ly/mobilecrp could
themselves be implemented within mediawiki.  mod_pagespeed itself can't
just be dropped in to do the job, and especially doesn't play nicely with
the full page edge caching wmf depends on; but it could be used as
development guide.

For mobile performance especially, the critical points are:

* Everything needed to fully render above the fold content should fit
within 10 packets, given our current 10 packet tcp initial connection
window.
* Those <= 10 packets must be in the service of a single request.
* All css required by that above-the-fold view must be inline.  It doesn't
have to be all of the css required for the page overall.
* Same with javascript - anything not essential to above the fold should be
deferred.

I can't think of any good reasons why this couldn't be implemented by
MobileFrontend.  Accomplishing all of what mod_pagespeed addresses for
general mediawiki use would likely involve a rewrite of resourceloader.

-Asher