On 7/22/13, James Forrester <jforres...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> On 22 July 2013 11:45, Tyler Romeo <tylerro...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Putting all of the issues aside, I'd like to know what the reason is for
>> hiding the preference. Let's assume for a second that VE does not hinder
>> users at all, that it's JS footprint is nonexistent, and that the
>> interface
>> changes aren't that bothersome (which, to an extend, are true). Even with
>> all that, what reason is there to purposely deprive users of the choice to
>> completely hide VE if they're sure they have no intention of using it?
>>

> Adding a preference to disable VisualEditor in normal user preferences
> (rather than making it as easy as possible for gadgets to disable if people
> so chose) would be a lie.
>
> It would imply that this is a preference that Wikimedia thinks is
> appropriate. This would be a lie. For a similar example, see the removal of
> the "disable JavaScript" option from Firefox 23.
>
> It would imply that this is a preference that Wikimedia will support.
> This would be a lie. We have always intended for VisualEditor to be a
> wiki-level preference, and for this user-level preference to disappear once
> the need for an opt-in (i.e., the beta roll-out to production wikis) is
> over.
>
> It would imply that Wikimedia thinks preference bloat is an appropriate way
> forward for users. This would be a lie. Each added preference adds to the
> complexity of our interface, increasing even further the choice paralysis
> and laughable usability of our existing preference system.
>
> It would imply that Wikimedia thinks preference bloat is an appropriate way
> forward for expenditure of donor funds. This would be a lie. Each added
> preference adds to the complexity of our software - so increasing the cost
> and slowness of development and testing, and the difficulty of user support.
>
> It would imply that Wikimedia can get rid of under-used preferences. This
> would be a lie. We do not have a successful track record of getting rid of
> preferences, even when used by a handful of our users, even when set away
> from default mostly by inactive accounts; accepting this form of product
> debt now on the spurious claim that we'll pay it off later is untrue.
>
> It would imply that getting rid of preference later rather than now would
> in any way reduce the outcry. This would be a lie.  The very few times we
> have done this, the arguments from those campaigning for retention are
> generally emotive and not based on the above points - that "it's just a
> little preference, not harming anyone", that Wikimedia "has enough money
> for just this one item", or that the preference is the only thing keeping
> the user from leaving - an argument that almost always is visibly proven
> untrue after the preference is removed.
>
> Creating such a preference is a lie, and a lie I cannot endorse.
>
> J.
> --
> James D. Forrester
> [...]

Really? Given the number of inane preferences in Special:Preferences
(I'm looking at you preference to disable sending 304 status codes),
this is where we're going to draw the line?

A preference for this seems fairly reasonable in my opinion.
Especially given that visual editor is not at a fully feature complete
state yet (For example, its not enabled in the project namespace as
far as I understand)

--bawolff