On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 11:20 AM, Subramanya Sastry
<ssas...@wikimedia.org>wrote:

> On 07/24/2013 09:58 AM, Roan Kattouw wrote:
>
>> There are a few things I wish it tested, but they're mostly about how it
>> tests things rather than what data is collected. For instance, it would be
>> nice if the round-trip tests could round-trip from wikitext to HTML
>> *string* and back, rather than to HTML *DOM* and back. This would help
>> catch cases where the DOM doesn't cleanly round-trip through the HTML
>> parser (foster-parenting for instance). It may be that this is already
>> implemented, or that it was considered and rejected, I don't know.
>>

> Yes, we've considered this for a while now.  Just not done yet since we
> haven't had a chance to work on the testing infrastructure in over 6 months
> till now.

For what it's worth, both the DOM serialization-to-a-string and DOM
parsing-from-a-string are done with the domino package.  It has a
substantial test suite of its own (originally from
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/Testing I believe).  So although the above
is probably worth doing as a low-priority task, it's really a test of the
third-party library, not of Parsoid.  (Although, since I'm a co-maintainer
of domino, I'd be very interested in fixing any bugs which it did turn up.)

The foster parenting issues mostly arise in the wikitext->parsoid DOM
phase.  Basically, the wikitext is tokenized into a HTML tag soup and then
a customized version of the standard HTML parser is used to assemble the
soup into a DOM, mimicking the process by which a browser would parse the
tag soup emitted by the current PHP parser.  So the existing test suite
does expose these foster-parenting issues already.
  --scott

--
(http://cscott.net)