On 25 July 2013 11:32, Risker <risker...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The preference didn't break anything. It had been active for months during
>  the alpha testing.  It was a conscious decision not to permit its
> continued
> use after the deployment on July 1, and the way that it was "disabled" was
> by hiding it.

​This is correct, yes.​

> Those of you who know more about the system than do I pointed out that
> hiding the preference wasn't the appropriate step and if the VE team wanted
> to remove the option, it should be written out on their end.  But the
> preference had been active for months before the July 1 deployment.

​To be clear here, ​removing the preference we're talking about would
disable the alpha opt-in on all wikis that aren't in the beta (all users by
default) phase. That's 284 of the 293 Wikipedias right now (and would also
remove the ability for us to deploy the opt-in alpha to Wiktionaries,
Commons, Meta, *etc. *before we are ready to support them in beta); I think
hiding rather than removing the preference was the only real choice here.

​J.​
--
James D. Forrester
Product Manager, VisualEditor