On Aug 20, 2013, at 2:31 AM, Tyler Romeo <tylerro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> As long as the change does not inhibit extensions from hooking in and using
> other CSS pre-processors, I don't see any issue with using LESS in core.

However if and when we adopt LESS support in core, which only happens if we
also incorporate it into our MediaWiki coding conventions, complying
extensions will, by convention, not be tolerated to use other
pre-processors.

However I agree that ResourceLoader in general should be agnostic and allow
implementation and usage of whatever you want in your own extensions.

From quickly looking at the draft patch set and the existing
extension[1][2] that already implements this I we can conclude that this is
already the case, and I'll hereby vouch for continued support of such
extensibility for other pre-processors as well. However core should only
(at most) include 1.

-- Krinkle

[1] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Less
[2] https://github.com/wikimedia/mediawiki-extensions-Less