On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 8:38 AM, Tyler Romeo <tylerro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 11:13 AM, Chris Steipp <cste...@wikimedia.org
> >wrote:
>
> > This of course means that we would condone users giving their
> > username/password to a potentially trojaned desktop application, for the
> > benefit that honest apps would be able to easily store a token instead of
> > the username/password combination and prevent a later attacker from
> getting
> > full access to a user's account through their password.
> >
> > Does the community feel like that's a reasonable tradeoff?
> >

> I have another idea: application passwords. Google has them. Facebook has
> them. And they're basically like OAuth tokens except a bit more permanent.

It's definitely something to consider. I don't want to create too many
different authentication schemes, since that means someone who has a fair
amount of security understanding will need to maintain them long term. But,
I definitely see the use for them, and they could probably plug into
MediaWiki exactly like OAuth.

Of course the drawback of them vs OAuth is that the password still needs to
be secret (so only submitted over https), whereas having the consumer
secret really secret lets the consumer ensure integrity of the message over
http. But again, that really only would affect users where https is
restricted.