I'm usually just an observer on these lists, but I'll weigh in as a user
who runs MediaWiki on a shared host. The host *is* a VPS, but our wiki is
used by the environmental department of a large international non-profit.
As such it lives on the "enviro" server along with some WordPress sites and
other minor things.

If we have to give the wiki its own dedicated VPS, it will likely not
survive, or we will move to another platform. I see some REALLY low costs
for VPSes being tossed around here, but honestly, we'd probably be looking
at a minimum of $50/month to give the site its own dedicated VPS. I realize
that in the grand scheme of things, that's not a huge cost, but at that
point, management will probably insist on making the site pay for itself
rather than the current situation of letting it exist on shared resources.

-Chris