On 10/01/2013 04:34 PM, Ori Livneh wrote:
> I don't like this "every time you have a new idea, God kills a Community
> member" approach.

Ori, I like your work on MediaWiki-Vagrant -- surely a new idea! -- but
I'd also like you to consider the needs of people who don't have access
to the infrastructure or know-how that you do.

For example, many long-time users of MediaWiki would like to use the
VisualEditor, but only have the ability to run PHP and, if they're
lucky, get some PHP modules installed.  So VE is a non-starter.

The approach taken on Scribunto, though -- forking out a bundled lua
binary -- works even on shared hosting.  I've even managed to get it
working on GoDaddy's notorious hosting.

This isn't directed so much at you, but I when it comes to these "new
ideas", I'd like to see more thought given to the installed base of
MediaWiki sites.  More of the Lua approach and ways to adapt the
Parsoid-type features to those people with fewer resources.

Thinking about community members may not be the easiest thing to do, but
it pays off.

--
Mark A. Hershberger
NicheWork LLC