On 10/02/2013 06:33 PM, Mark A. Hershberger wrote:
Did you see the Orain wikifarm? https://meta.orain.org/

No, I hadn't. But I followed your advice, I checked it out, tested the service with a wiki that some friends wanted to create and got to know the main contributors. Thank you! It's a very interesting community project run by wikipedians that love MediaWiki.

In fact I find it has some relation to this discussion and the possibilities suggested by Brion, Ori, Ryan, Mark... You are talking about an affordable Turbo service for power users and they are providing a free Diesel service for anybody.

But no just any diesel, check

https://meta.orain.org/wiki/Special:Version
MediaWiki 1.22wmf16, MariaDB, Scribunto and more if you ask for it.

and see also their projects to maintain their farm at
https://github.com/Orain
https://github.com/Orain/ansible-playbook/blob/master/roles/mediawiki/tasks/main.yml

These people are clearly aligned with what this community is developing. They also seem to be having a similar vision about maintaining instances pulling from repositories, etc. If some of you think they could improve their approach I'm sure they would be happy to listen and discuss.

Now I imagine the combination of this free-for-all service with the affordable DIY setup you were describing and I see a great service for the community, yes.

Post Disclaimer: today I donated to Orain.org to support the initiative. An hour later they convinced me to move my pet project there. I wasn't amused about having to update core and extensions when MW 1.22 was out. Now my site is running basically the latest you can find out of the Wikimedia servers. And I will concentrate on my users and content. Happy.

--
Quim Gil
Technical Contributor Coordinator @ Wikimedia Foundation