At 20:11 01/10/2013, Brion Vibber wrote:
Would an officially supported general-purpose MediaWiki hosting service be
useful to people who would like to run wikis, but don't have the time,
expertise, or resources to maintain their own installation?

If so, what can we (as interested parties in MediaWiki development and use)
do to make this happen?

Brion,

I am a lead user, i.e. not a competent nor professionnal developper, but someone with a need that he intends to address himself if there is no other way (I did it several times including once a distributed real time multimachine OS based on QNX, a 3.000 sites experimentation, etc.).

I observe that most of my current needs would be solved through what I name "intellipages", i.e. intelligent standalone (single page wiki) or grouped (billion page wiki) pages plus a content centered accessing solution (can be a DDDS or semantic access). My needs are compacity, ubiquity, versatility, mobility, access security, backup, simplicity, replication, etc. I am not interested in wiki softwares: I am interested in what can be updated on a wiki page. I currently run more than 30 personnal working specialized [media]wikis (not big ones, often created in a few minutes and updated as time goes). I have queries from many people who would like to work the same. I have projects for many of them. With extensions.

My plan (I am beginning, so may be I will discover this cannot work) is to start from an existing wiki softaculous configuration on my windows machine and a copy of the same on my linux hosting company. As I did not find an A to Z architectural description manual, my target is to discover it by reverse engineering of the programs and databases relations. The target is to understand how to split the whole thing in two parts: a wiki craddle (software programs/protocols) and wiki containers (data, metadata, syllodata) I can (plural) dock, plug and play in the craddle. In the process I will probably need to document an interwiki protocol to suppervise the whole thing and the parallel/remote replication/backup/local-global-updating.

The cradre is what is to be updated by developpers. The content is what is to be updated, replicated and backuped by users. The cradle/container development ballance to be advised by architects. The probable value added services by (paid/non-profit) operators.

Hope this possibly crazy input might help.

jfc

[Please do not consider the existence of this email to imply that only
regular posters on wikitech-l are allowed to read, comment on, or give
opinions in this matter -- on the contrary, wider input is being requested.
Please forward this question to anyone to whom it may be of interest. If
you would like to get more input from other people, please feel free to
contact them on your own, with or without a forward of this mail, and to
make follow-up posts or comments as you need or want to. Please feel free
to modify the question, the idea, the proposal, or make comments or
additions. Be bold and get involved!]

-- brion