Dear MediaWiki developers,

I'm responsible for the development of a new Wiki that will contain many Tibetan resources. Traditionnaly, Tibetan titles of books or even parts of books are extremely long, as you can see for instance here : http://www.tbrc.org/#!rid=W23922, and sometimes too long for Mediawiki, for instance the title of

http://www.tbrc.org/?locale=bo#library_work_ViewByOutline-O01DG1049094951|W23922

, which is

ཤངས་པ་བཀའ་བརྒྱུད་ཀྱི་གཞུང་བཀའ་ཕྱི་མ་རྣམས་ཕྱོགས་གཅིག་ཏུ་བསྒྲིལ་བའི་ཕྱག་ལེན་བདེ་ཆེན་སྙེ་མའི་ཆུན་པོ་

. This title is around 90 Tibetan characters, but each caracter being 3 bytes, it exceeds the limit for title length of 256 bytes that MediaWiki has.

So I have two questions:

1. If I change this limit to 1023 in the structure of the database ('page_title' field of the 'page' base), will other things (such as search engine) break? Is there a way to change it more cleanly?

2. Could I propose you to make this limit 1023 instead of 255 (or to make it configurable easily)? This would allow at least 256 characters (even for asian languages) instead of 256 bytes, which seems more consistant with the fact that MediaWiki is well internationalized.

Thank you in advance,
--
Elie