On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 7:12 AM, Brad Jorsch (Anomie)
<bjor...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> Where I come from, "beta" does mean "this is the direction we're
> intending to go in, subject to testing and feedback before it's made
> an official release".

That's right. There are two questions here:

- Do these style/typography changes represent an improvement for most
users, without significantly disadvantaging others?
- If so, how should they be implemented?

Making the change available as a beta feature helps us get input on
both questions. This thread is an example of exactly the kind of
feedback that we'd rather get during the beta stage than when
something's been made default.

Prioritizing freely licensed fonts while also explicitly naming the
preferred non-free fonts seems like an easy fix.

Erik

--
Erik Möller