I'm looking forward to seeing how this plays out. The only downside I
can so far see is that the amount of browser storage available varies
drastically [1] and I wonder whether this will cause upsets for those
browsers with extremely strict limits.

I've also been toying with the idea of using localStorage and cache
manifests in mobile for offline usage in mobile for some time and this
will compete for that space and make that experiment if it ever
happens even more interesting. :-)

[1] http://dev-test.nemikor.com/web-storage/support-test/

On Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 7:31 AM, Mark A. Hershberger <m...@nichework.com> wrote:
> On 11/04/2013 10:10 AM, Max Semenik wrote:
>> Most of our mobile traffic is genrated by iOS and Android - both of
>> which support LocalStorage, so it will work for them too.
>
> People using 2G/GPRS are not necessarily using a mobile device.  I've
> heard from at least one user (hence
> https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/55842) that he is using his cell phone as
> a modem.
>
> I suspect this is not a small percentage of users in less developed
> areas where cell phone towers are plentiful but cables are not.
>
> Non-mobile UAs on mobile IPs is what I'm asking about.
>
> Mark.

Jon Robson
http://jonrobson.me.uk
@rakugojon