On 11/13/2013 04:21 PM, Tyler Romeo wrote:
> MediaWiki participates in a number of student competitions and programs as
> an open source mentor (such as GSoC, Code-In, etc.). Today I ran into
> another one: Facebook's Open Academy Program.
>
> https://www.facebook.com/OpenAcademyProgram
>
> I'm not sure how we would get involved in this program, but I'm sure people
> would agree it might be a good thing to become a mentor organization and
> have students contribute to MediaWiki as part of a college credit program.
>
> Any thoughts?

Interesting. Thank you!

After reading
https://www.facebook.com/notes/open-academy/welcome-to-the-open-academy-program/216150918554109
and liking the second comment (in the Facebook sense of the word), I
sent an email to Jamie Lockwood CCing Tyler requesting more information:

Hello Jamie,

I'm the coordinator of mentorship programs at Wikimedia, including
Google Summer of Code and FOSS Outreach Program for Women. I just
learned about Open Academy Program thanks to Tyler, one of our veteran
community contributors, and a mentor as well.

I just read
https://www.facebook.com/notes/open-academy/welcome-to-the-open-academy-program/216150918554109
and I wonder if you think it makes sense for Wikimedia to get involved.

As you will know, participating properly in mentorship programs requires
a lot of energy from anybody. We are about to start our first Google
Code-in, at the same time than our third FOSS OPW. Still, we want to be
open to any proposals and initiatives, and get involved as much as our
possibilities permit.

Thank you very much for promoting free software to new contributors!

Best regards,

--
Quim Gil
Technical Contributor Coordinator @ Wikimedia Foundation