Ori Livneh wrote:
>On Mon, Dec 9, 2013 at 2:58 PM, Ryan Kaldari <rkald...@wikimedia.org>
>wrote:
>> I am somewhat concerned about the implications for JS debugging here.
>> Debugging JS problems with the live sites is already pretty complicated:
>> 1. debug=true won't reproduce some bugs (usually race condition related)
>
>Yeah, debug mode sucks. I think we need to think it over.

Currently it goes something like this, as I understand it: by default, all
CSS and JavaScript is concatenated and minified as much as practically
possible. If you pass a "debug=true" URL parameter to index.php, you can
disable this concatenation and minification of CSS and JavaScript (which
largely, if not exclusively, come through via load.php/ResourceLoader).

I believe there's been extensive discussion on this mailing list about the
trade-offs being made here. Perhaps it's time for another discussion.

* Minification reduces bandwidth usage.
** At the cost of making debugging more difficult.

* You can specify debug=true.
** Specifying the URL parameter can damage reproducibility.
** URL parameter is non-obvious to just about everyone.
*** Could add an HTML comment at least pointing people in this direction.

* Minification is a form of obfuscation and it harms the open Web.

I'm not sure what the right answer is here. The damage to reproducibility
and the open Web hurts a lot. The performance hit may hurt more.

MZMcBride