+1000 to what Max says. It really is kinda obvious to anyone who needs to
know how to get into debug mode and if not there are wiki pages and if not
it's easy enough to find out if you care enough.

That said debug mode could definitely be improved and I'm glad you brought
this topic up Max. A few things of the top of my head I'd like to see:

* RTL working in debug mode
* The code in ResourceLoader really could do with a good refactor - there
are far too many different code paths and it would be good if we could
simplify this to get them as close as possible. When I've worked with RL in
the past to design my own modules which involves files I've had a lot of
headaches trying to get things to work in both debug mode and non-debug
mode (JavaScript templates [1] being one concrete example) - and even then
the result wasn't quite was I was hoping for in that debug mode uses
load.php urls to inject JavaScript before the file that needs it.

[1]
https://git.wikimedia.org/blob/mediawiki%2Fextensions%2FMobileFrontend.git/1f3c57137afae1d0f8ac602b62dccc741893d670/includes%2Fmodules%2FMFResourceLoaderModule.php