Yes, this would be a pretty straightforward addition to the mw.Title object
or something that accepts one as a filename similarly.

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Scribunto/Lua_reference_manual#Title_objects

Like the 'fileExists' this might be marked as an 'expensive' operation
since doing a lot of them might require a lot of DB lookups.

Note that I've got an old 'fileinfo' extension which used a parser function
to fetch some file information which could be updated to provide a Lua
interface, but it seems to have gone missing from gerrit (may never have
made it over). So.... exercise left for the reader.

-- brion