On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 2:12 PM, Tuszynski, Jaroslaw W.
<jaroslaw.w.tuszyn...@leidos.com> wrote:
> I lately switched Commons coordinate template
> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Template:Location from using dozens
> of subtemplates to much cleaner Lua code. Everything works great, except
> for Special:WhatLinksHere links. The no longer used subtemplates like
> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Template:Location/layout still show
> over 3M files transcluding it and files, like
> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Estadio_Pacaembu.jpg  which
> still claims to transclude [[Template:Location/layout]] ("Templates used
> on this page:" section in edit mode). The transclusion dependencies do
> not correct themselves even with a Purge, but page edit fixes it. Also
> several times I got some sort of internal database errors when using
> Special:WhatLinksHere.
>

> In the past when I run into this kind of trouble I waited, but in some
> cases it took over half a year for the database to update itself. In
> other cases those issues never clear (or I did not wait long enough),
> like with Category:Pages with malformed coordinate tags
> <https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Pages_with_malformed_coordi
> nate_tags>  , which due to a long fixed bug in  {{#coordinates:
> <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:GeoData> }} was filled with
> 40k files which did not have any issues. Then the only solution I know
> is  Pywikibot/touch.py
> (https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Pywikipediabot/touch.py ), which
> I recently used to clear {{#coordinates:
> <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:GeoData> }} issues.
>

> Is there a better way to synchronize database with reality?
>

> Jarek T.
>
> (user:jarekt <http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Jarekt> )

It takes a lot of work to reparse 4 million pages. If it makes you
feel better, the toolserver transclusion count you linked to is about
20000 pages higher than the real number of transclusions.

>but in some
> cases it took over half a year for the database to update itself

If something is taking 6 months, it probably means that some sort of
bug happened, and the pages aren't being refreshed at all.

> The transclusion dependencies do
> not correct themselves even with a Purge, but page edit fixes it.

Yes, null edits update links tables (e.g. Categories, whatlinkshere,
Special:LinkSearch, etc) purges do not.

> Also
> several times I got some sort of internal database errors when using
> Special:WhatLinksHere.

That shouldn't happen. What sort of things were you doing when the
error happened?

--bawolff