Il 01/02/2014 20:39, Dan Garry ha scritto:
On 1 February 2014 09:12, Jan Zerebecki <jan.wikime...@zerebecki.de> wrote:
1) Find a free WiFi spot you haven't used before.
2) Create account (no need to enter any Email).
3) Abuse and repeat if you get banned.

That doesn't always work. Many open access points like this are blocked
such that it's not possible to create a new account, but it is possible to
edit through an existing one. Libraries and schools are the primary example
of this.

To summarize: It is currently easier for someone to abuse without Tor
than with it.

The same is true of blocks. It is currently easier to vandalise when your
IP is not blocked than when it is. Should we remove blocking altogether?
No. Once you put in place measures to stop abuse through one avenue, people
can do that same abuse through another avenue. That's not a reason not to
attempt to stop the abuse.

Why should account creation be harder for Tor users than for free WiFi
users?

Aside from the fact that this is not always true (see my first point), it's
simply because we got much more abuse from users Tor than we did from users
of free wifi. And the abuse from Tor was much more critical, such as
uploading illegal content, as opposed to the simple block evasion that we
typically see from free wifi.

In an ideal world, we wouldn't need to block Tor. Then again, in an ideal
world, we wouldn't need blocks at all.

Dan

Furthermore this kind of issue is more a community affair rather than technical.

Anyway who needs to use TOR has been granting with an exempt for years.

Vito