On 17 January 2014 14:08, Marc A. Pelletier <m...@uberbox.org> wrote:

> On 01/17/2014 01:21 PM, Erik Moeller wrote:
> > This seems like a valid reason for a global exemption to me, so I'm
> > not sure the current global policy is sufficient.
>
> To be fair, Erik, I don't think it's fair to expect that one would be
> granted IPBE (especially globally) simply by just remembering to not add
> "and vandalize" in the request.
>
> On English Wikipedia, at least, IPBE is normally only granted to someone
> who has some positive history and has an actual /need/ for the bit.  The
> reason for this is simple:  It's be abused over and over again
> historically.  The number of times I personally caught someone misusing
> a proxy for socking that happened to have a "good hand" account with
> IPBE also on that proxy is much higher than the number of IPBE I've seen
> used legitimately.
>
> The problem isn't straight up vandalism (IPBE is no help there -- the
> account'd get swiftly blocked) but socking.  POV warriors know how to
> misuse proxies and anonymity to multiply "their" consensus, and having
> IPBE and editing through any sort of anonimizing proxy (including TOR)
> defeats what little means checkuser have to curb socking.

I agree with Marc on this, and further would say that the "reason" given by
Erik in his application for IPBE is pretty much a red flag that a user is
going to be editing in a controversial and non-neutral manner. It's also a
red flag that the user's probably been blocked for doing it before, and
thinks this will be a workaround that will prevent him/her from being
blocked this time.

Risker/Anne