On 02/05/2014 09:34 PM, Tim Starling wrote:
> Maybe Chris's phrasing misled you: I didn't invent the Whirlpool
> algorithm

And so it did; something a quick google would have revealed. In my
defense, "The Whirlpool algorithm by Tim" was pretty convincing
attribution.  :-)

I'd need to read up on that algorithm a bit before I have an opinion on
whether length-extension attacks are not an issue with it (which is
often particularly nasty when the message repeats or is cyclical).  Most
hashes fare better by prepending a nonce as salt than they do by padding
or repeating.

-- Marc