On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 8:00 PM, MZMcBride <z...@mzmcbride.com> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Tyler Romeo wrote:
> >On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 2:20 AM, MZMcBride <z...@mzmcbride.com> wrote:
> >> Ultimately, account security is a user's prerogative. [...] Banks and
> >>even e-mail providers have reason to implement stricter authentication
> >>requirements.
> >
> >This is conflicting logic. If it is the user's job to enforce their own
> >account security, what reason would banks or email providers have to
> >require long passwords?
>
> I'm not sure the logic is conflicting. I tried to separate individual
> thoughts into individual paragraphs. The common thread of my message was
> that I haven't yet seen enough evidence that the cost here is worth the
> benefit. The benefits to securing valueless accounts remains unclear,
> while the implementation cost is non-negligible.
>
> E-mail accounts are often used in identity verification processes and
> banks are banks. While you and I may disagree with their password
> policies, there's at least a reasonable explanation for implementing more
> stringent requirements in these two cases. Compare with MediaWiki user
> accounts. What's the argument here? Why is this worth any effort?

I think there are a couple of reasons why we have a duty to enforce strong
passwords. Let me try to convince you.

1) As I understand it, the reason we went from 0 to 1 character required is
spammers were actively trying to find accounts with no password so they
could edit with an autoconfirmed account. We rely on "number of
combinations of minimum passwords" to be greater than "number of tries
before an IP must also solve captcha to login" to mitigate some of this,
but I think there are straightforward ways for a spammer to get accounts
with our current setup. And I think increasing the minimum password length
is one component.

2) We do have a duty to protect our user's accounts with a reasonable
amount of effort/cost proportional to the weight we put on those
identities. I think we would be in a very difficult spot if the foundation
tried to take legal action against someone for the actions they took with
their user account, and the user said, "That wasn't me, my account probably
got hacked. And it's not my fault, because I did the minimum you asked me."
So I think we at least want to be roughly in line with "industry standard",
or have a calculated tradeoff against that, which is roughly 6-8 character
passwords with no complexity requirements. I personally think the
foundation and community _does_ put quite a lot of weight into user's
identities (most disputes and voting processes that I've seen have some
component that assume edits by an account were done by a single person), so
I think we do have a responsibility to set the bar at a level appropriate
to that, assuming that all users will do the minimum that we ask. Whether
it's 4 or 6 characters for us I think is debatable, but I think 1 is not
reasonable.