On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 2:20 AM, MZMcBride <z...@mzmcbride.com> wrote:

> Ultimately, account security is a user's prerogative. [...] Banks and even
> e-mail
> providers have reason to implement stricter authentication requirements.

This is conflicting logic. If it is the user's job to enforce their own
account security, what reason would banks or email providers have to
require long passwords? If somebody guesses a user's password and empties
their bank account, the bank could care less, since it is the customer's
fault for not making sure their password is long enough.

Rather account security, and security in general, is a combination of both
administrative oversight and user awareness. It is the system
administrators' responsibility to try and make up for the fact that users
are not security experts, and thus cannot be expected to take every
possible measure to ensure the safety of their account. Accordingly it is
our responsibility to set a password policy that ensures that users will
not do something stupid, as all users are inclined to do.

Of course, it is still valid that a Wikimedia wiki account is "nearly
valueless". However, that is probably more of a personal opinion than it is
a fact. I'm sure a very heavy Wikipedia editor, who uses his/her account to
make hundreds of edits a month but isn't necessarily an administrator or
other higher-level user, sees their account as something more than a
throwaway that can be replaced in an instant. Sure there is nothing of
monetary value in the account, and no confidential information would be
leaked should the account become compromised, but at the same time it has a
personal value.

For example, MZMcBride, what if your password is "wiki", and somebody
compromises your account, and changes your password and email. You don't
have a committed identity, so your account is now unrecoverable. You now
have to sign up for Wikipedia again, using the username "MZMcBride2". Of
course, all your previous edits are still accredited to your previous
account, and there's no way we can confirm you are the real MZMcBride, but
at least you can continue to edit Wikipedia... Obviously you are not the
best example, since I'm sure you have ways of confirming your identity to
the Wikimedia Foundation, but not everybody is like that. You could argue
that if you consider your Wikipedia account to have that much value, you'd
put in the effort to make sure it is secure. To that I say see the above
paragraph.

*-- *
*Tyler Romeo*
Major in Computer Science