On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 4:23 PM, Antoine Musso <hashar+...@free.fr> wrote:

> Le 20/02/2014 22:51, Brion Vibber a écrit :
> > TLD proliferation is a scam by money-hungry registrars who want people to
> > register (and thus pay) in multiple TLDs to "protect their brands".
> >
> > I recommend we boycott/ignore these various things and just avoid them,
> but
> > I know we're going to end up registering a bunch for the "brand
> protection"
> > (racket).
>
> To the lawyers around there:
>
> Can a trademark owner sue the registrar directly? After all it sold a
> product (the domain) using your trademark.

Remember that "wiki" is not a WMF trademark :) But presumably if someone
registered something like pedia.wiki we'd have a variety of tools to have
to address the problem.

Luis

--
Luis Villa
Deputy General Counsel

NOTICE: *This message may be confidential or legally privileged. If you
have received it by accident, please delete it and let us know about the
mistake. As an attorney for the Wikimedia Foundation, for legal/ethical
reasons I cannot give legal advice to, or serve as a lawyer for, community
members, volunteers, or staff members in their personal capacity.*