Without getting into the value discussion, I wanted to note there's an official meta-registry called the Trademark Clearinghouse, in which owners of registered trademarks can block/reserve (as opposed to register) their marks in all the new gTLDs, so they don't get squatted. The protection fee at TMCH costs around $150/year/mark:

http://trademark-clearinghouse.com/content/trademark-clearinghouse-fees

I have an IP lawyer friend helping people with this new gTLD stuff if Wikimedia needs advice or help getting registered with the TMCH.

Pete