On Fri, Mar 7, 2014 at 10:30 AM, Jon Robson <jdlrob...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Let's also take this into a new thread. There are a lot of different
> conversations now going on....
>
> On Fri, Mar 7, 2014 at 9:21 AM, Brad Jorsch (Anomie)
> <bjor...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
>> On Fri, Mar 7, 2014 at 12:08 PM, C. Scott Ananian
>> <canan...@wikimedia.org>wrote:
>>
>>> I agree.  I think a better technical solution would be to halt jenkins'
>>> auto-merge for the 24 hour period, so that +2'ed changes are not
>>> automatically merged until after the branch is cut.
>>

>> I don't see how that's any better. Things still aren't getting merged.
>>
>> If anything, the "cut using master@{24 hours ago}" is a much better
>> idea.[1] Although it might be useful to see if Wednesday tends to be a
>> relatively active bug-fixing day as the community on non-Wikipedia sites
>> finds issues in the version that was deployed to them on Tuesday, in which
>> case keeping those from making it into the new cut on Thursday (and so
>> requiring more backports or waiting an extra week for fixes) might not be
>> so great.
>>

>>  [1]: And yes, 'master@{24 hours ago}' is valid git syntax.

In another project in another place with another team... I solved a
very similar problem by creating release branches from tags that the
testing system placed on revisions that had passed the integration
test suite rather than whatever HEAD happened to be at the time that
the branch was cut. We had a very heavy (~2hr wall clock time; ~24hr
cpu time) integration test suite that ran once a day. When the master
job that kicked off these tests found that no child tests had failed
it would tag the revisions that had been tested across all of the
involved repositories with something like 'integration-YYYYMMDD'. Our
release branch was forked from these tags. In the MW situation it
might be nicer to run such test processes more often that once a day
but the fundamental idea could/should work.

This type of gated promotion process won't stop all problems from
getting to the next stage, but it might make the inclusion of code
into the weekly branch slightly safer. It also could be seen as
stepping stone to further automation that could decrease the time
between production minor version deploys. Someday we might be able to
deploy "continuously" to some set of wikis where continuously doesn't
mean every individual commit but every time the integration test suite
says that things are stable.

Bryan
--
Bryan Davis              Wikimedia Foundation    <bd...@wikimedia.org>
[[m:User:BDavis_(WMF)]]  Sr Software Engineer            Boise, ID USA