Hello, Devender, and thank you for being interested in open source and in
Wikimedia!

Are you proposing to do this for *Wikipedia* specifically, or just as a
MediaWiki extension that any MediaWiki installation might choose to
install?  If you want to do this to Wikipedia, then I think you haven't
thought enough about this:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Summer_of_Code_2013#Your_project

"MediaWiki != Wikipedia: YES to generic MediaWiki projects. YES to projects
already backed by a Wikimedia community. NO to projects requiring Wikipedia
to be convinced."

What you are proposing would require that you persuade the Wikipedia
community that it is a good idea. In our experience, one summer is not long
enough for you to do that and build it as well. If you want to change the
experience for ALL of the users of all the Wikimedia sites, you need a lot
of time for community discussion and design.

Let me give you some examples.

Good:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Summer_of_Code_2014#UniversalLanguageSelector_fonts_for_Chinese_.28or_CJK.29_wikisYou
see that this is an idea for an improvement to the software that
simply
improves an existing experience.  So that's fine.

Bad: "my idea is to change English Wikipedia so that instead of a main page
full of text, the main page is an interactive video/animation that
autoplays." (I, Sumana, made this up.) That idea is a bad fit for several
reasons, but the thing I would want to concentrate on here, Devender, is
that this video idea would require that the proposer negotiate with the
English Wikipedia community to get them to accept her idea and change the
way they do things.

For Google Summer of Code/OPW projects, it just seems like a bad idea -- it
doesn't seem like there would be enough time for that kind of consultation
and negotiation. It's reasonable for large, long-term projects (like the
VisualEditor or Flow or mobile editing/uploading) to have these kinds of
conversations, to work with the wiki communities to rearrange workflow, or
the basic way edits are displayed, or something like that. For Google
Summer of Code/OPW projects, it just seems like a bad idea -- it doesn't
seem like there would be enough time for that kind of consultation and
negotiation.

So, how can you get an idea that's good, and that makes it easier for
people to understand the quality of Wikipedia edits and Wikipedia edit
history, but that you can do in three months? If you are interested in
that, I suggest that you take a look at the existing projects at WMF
analytics https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Analytics , and the existing work
by researchers who care about this topic.
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research  That should give you some ideas.

Thanks again!

Sumana Harihareswara
Engineering Community Manager