It's great to see these conflicting ideas!

I agree, this is not simple at all - this is why we have no map
namespace, but there is definitely a need. I'm hoping Zurich can
provide a platform where we can get somewhere close in that direction
and generate some momentum.

The fact we have a BetaFeatures now on the desktop site means we are
free to explore ideas, for those ideas to fail and to buy us time to
perfect them.

I personally am interested purely from a readers perspective - it
makes me sad everytime I see a static map made out of CSS and SVGs
that looks like something I could play with and explore. I want maps
to be a big part of the Wikipedia experience.

I really think a good first step would be to lay the foundations -
keep things as simple as possible - a simple way of storing the data
and a simple way of viewing the data stored - whether that involves
Wikidata or not I'm not sure but let's see what comes out of Zurich.
For those not in Zurich, I hope some of you can participate on the IRC
channel #wikimedia-dev ?

If we come out of Zurich with various different solutions to the same
problem that would also be awesome - a good problem to solve in
future. :-)

On Sat, Mar 8, 2014 at 1:54 PM, Derk-Jan Hartman
<d.j.hartman+wmf...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8 mrt. 2014, at 21:48, Russell Nelson <russnel...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Mar 7, 2014 at 7:36 PM, Derk-Jan Hartman
>> <d.j.hartman+wmf...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> This is thinking way too simple. Would it be nice to be able to do this ?
>> Sure, but we already have dynamic maps. WikiMiniAtlas, the german OSM map.
>> Those even have area highlights these days. Can they be better ? sure, is
>> that something difficult, is it really needed ? No not really x2.
>> Wikipedians are much more focused on making static maps usually.
>>
>> Refutation:
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interurban_and_streetcar_railways_in_Syracuse,_New_York
>> That map is utter crap, completely unusable for any kind of mobile usage,
>> even if it were georeferenced.
>>

>> Is it possible / useful to generate thematic renderings of OSM tiles? Sure,
>> and they look really good, for example here: http://www.itoworld.com/map/15
>>
>> My feeling is that Wikipedia has desperately needed a map generator, whether
>> static or dynamic, for at least five years now. Yet something always comes
>> between Wikipedia and OSM for some reason. I think it's because people keep
>> saying that that's too easy! We need to do something better, something more
>> complicated, something that's a real challenge. Well, if it's so simple, why
>> doesn't every page with coordinates have a map?? Obviously, it's NOT that
>> simple.
>
> I see I failed to make my point. Its indeed NOT simple. We keep thinking that
> it's simple: 'build some technology and people will come' but models like
> that have proven to fail quite often (especially on en.wp). You need to find
> the user stories, find the building blocks and see where you get the most
> return for your money/effort. If you want something to succeed, you need a
> very concerted effort that leads to integration and acceptance. Not just one
> thing: Let's build the map. You need a line of careful steps with goals and
> metrics, reflection and evaluation. One of those steps might be to "build the
> map", but it's definitely not the only one.
>
> DJ

Jon Robson
* http://jonrobson.me.uk
* https://www.facebook.com/jonrobson