Daniel Norton wrote:
>On Apr 6, 2014, at 12:08 PM, MZMcBride <z...@mzmcbride.com> wrote:
>> en.wikipedia.org/s/xr32
>
>Hmm, I presume that you were just tossing out a random URL, but that
>“/s/” path seems to be configured with some special purpose, sending a
>301 redirect regardless of the remainder of the path. Is that documented
>somewhere? (I would expect a 404.)

The ShortUrl MediaWiki extension is active on some Wikimedia wikis. As
Jeremy says, it has associated Apache configuration to support even
shorter URLs. Example: <https://ta.wikipedia.org/s/3qhk>. I was suggesting
possibly (properly) expanding this functionality to additional Wikimedia
wikis. The current /s/ behavior on wikis where ShortUrl is not installed
is just a byproduct of shared Apache configuration between the domains
(you can search for "/s/" in operations/apache-config/main.conf):
<https://git.wikimedia.org/blob/operations%2Fapache-config.git//main.conf>.

MZMcBride