On 2014-04-06, 3:01 PM, Daniel Norton wrote:
> On Apr 6, 2014, at 12:57 PM, Jeremy Baron <jer...@tuxmachine.com> wrote:
>> On Apr 6, 2014 1:53 PM, "Daniel Norton" <dan...@danielnorton.com> wrote:
>>> sending a 301 redirect regardless of the remainder of the path. Is that
>> documented somewhere? (I would expect a 404.)
>>
>> The apache conf is in a public git repo. (not getting the URL for you atm
>> because I'm writing from a phone. should be operations/apache-config in
>> gerrit)
>>
>> See also https://mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:ShortUrl
>
> Yeah, it's in that repo and I found the changeset, but there's no explanation
> or bug #, just a comment "Special:ShortURL redirect RT-2121". The
> Extension:ShortUrl is not enabled on those servers, so I still expect a 404.
> Hmmm. No biggie, but it seems an undocumented anomaly. Perhaps leftover crud?
>
> Changeset: https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/16742
>
> --
> Daniel
It's redirected to index.php where PathRouter is supposed to take over
which Ext:ShortUrl hooks into.
If ShortUrl isn't present then MediaWiki's normal handling of urls will
continue.

MediaWiki doesn't have native 404 handling and any unknown URL is
considered to be the main page.

Never finished the changeset fixing that (implementing native 404 handling).