On 05/05/2014 05:29 AM, Petr Bena wrote:
> I am not saying that IRC is suitable for this and I know that people
> really wanted to get rid of it or replace it with something better,
> but I just can't see how is this better.

Most programming languages have an implementation of WebSockets, and, well,
those who don't will eventually have it.  I heard C++ has plenty of them,
since most browsers are written in C++.  Almost any reasonable programming
language will have an implementation of JSON, some of them even have it
in standard library.

(If that's really an issue, and the language you are writing in is not INTERCAL
or Perl, I can probably even write a client for you)

I don't see how a well-defined standardized exchange format is better than
awkwardly screenscrapping colored lines of text from IRC feed, which works
as long as you don't exceed IRC message size limit.

    -- Victor.