On May 20, 2014 4:57 PM, "David Gerard" <dger...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 20 May 2014 15:35, Strainu <strain...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I've recently noticed the "Thank you" feature is only available for
> > signed-in users, while anons cannot receive "thank yous". The
> > anonymous users are often the ones that would need encouraging the
> > most, so it would make sense to me to have this feature available to
> > them too.
> > Are there significant technical problems against such a change?
>

> I asked for this on the editor engagement list too. Fabrice said: [1]
>
> "Sadly, we couldn't make this feature available for anonymous users,
> as you have to be registered to receive notifications right now. This
> is because IP addresses cannot be trusted to deliver notifications to
> the users they were intended to. I don't expect we'll change that
> anytime soon. We should all encourage anonymous user to register if
> they want to enjoy the same benefits as other members."
>
> Fabrice, is this still the case? Are there ways around this?
>
> * I suppose session cookies for anons just to possibly thank them is a
> bit excessive.

It sure sounds excessive. Setting a session cookie after an edit has been
made by an anon might[1] be quite cheap in reality, or at least cheap
enough to justify the cost. Privacy wise it also seems ok, but I might be
overlooking some things on that regard as well.

--Martijn

[1] I haven't measured and aren't used to thinking Wikipedia scale, so I
might be massively mistaken. My wholly untrustworthy intuition however
thinks that if it's only set with an edit, the performance hit is limited,
especially compared to the resources the edit itself costs.