On Thursday, May 22, 2014, Daniel Friesen <dan...@nadir-seen-fire.com>
wrote:

> >> It sure sounds excessive. Setting a session cookie after an edit has
> been
> >> made by an anon might[1] be quite cheap in reality, or at least cheap
> >> enough to justify the cost. Privacy wise it also seems ok, but I might
> be
> >> overlooking some things on that regard as well.
> >>
> >> --Martijn
> > Don't we already do this upon an anon visiting an edit page? Otherwise
> > standard talk page messages wouldn't really work for anons, as the
> > user wouldn't get past varnish.
> >
> > --bawolff
> To be clear, we set a cookie on submit of the edit page, whether it
> results in an edit or not, but not on visit.
>
> But that is essentially what Martijn described.
>
> ~Daniel Friesen (Dantman, Nadir-Seen-Fire) [http://danielfriesen.name/]

As is, that should be sufficient to do this on a best effort basis, right?
If the cookie forces Varnish bypass we could already "x thanked this IP
address for their edits on y".

I can see however that this could have privacy concerns. Delivering the
message "Martijn Hoekstra thanked this IP address for their edits on porn
star y" delivered to the wrong person in the same ip isn't great. I'm not
sure this is different from  talk page messages though, I think it isn't.

If we stored more information in the cookie (last n revisionids of edits
for some sensible n?) we could make this more reliable. As a session
cookie his would leak less privacy sensitive data than is already in the
browsers history, and may avoid the above problem.

Would this approach be feasible in theory? In practice?

--Martijn