> There seem to be three popular ways:
>
> * $IP/skins/SkinName.php for the main file plus $IP/skins/skinname/
> for
> * $IP/skins/SkinName/ for both assets and PHP files
> ($IP/skins/skinname/SkinName.php etc.), using require_once in
> * $IP/extensions/SkinName/ for everything, the rest as above. This
> makes

I'd go for a mixture of option 2 and 3:
$IP/skins/SkinName/SkinName.php
I agree that skins and extensions should be installed in the same way
as much as possible. But I do not agree that this should go so far as
to install them in the same directory. They are fundamentally
different things - one concerns (ideally) the functionality of the
wiki, the other (ideally) its presentation. "But it can both be pulled
in using require_once, let's put it in the same place." does not sound
right to me. Using that reasoning you could just put all of MW in one
directory (or in one file, even) and be done with it.
At the same time I do not agree that the skin absolutely has be called
the same in all contexts so admins do not get too confused. That's
what installation instructions are for. "Plop it into yaddayadda.
Done. Activate it using blahdiblah. Done." And, incidentally, what's
wrong with &useskin=MonoBook?

Btw: "What stops a new user from plopping the folder into the extensions
directory by accident out of habit?"

Three answers - 1 serious, 1 half-serious, 1 not helpful at all (you
can pick which is which):
1. "New user", "out of habit"? Umm...
2. Nothing. And any decently written skin should not care.
3. Composer. :P
   And a decent extension/skin manager built on top of that.
   (But that's a completely different discussion, agreed.)

Cheers,
Stephan