On Wed, 21 May 2014 19:56:53 +0200, Jon Robson <jdlrob...@gmail.com> wrote:

What is the advantage of doing
this instead of just using the tried and tested extensions directory?
What stops a new user from plopping the folder into the extensions
directory by accident out of habit?

Stephan has already replied to this, but I'll also note that I can't think of a
single example of a software project that has both skins/themes/whatever and
extensions/plugins/whatever, does not handle installing them by itself (that
is, you have to copy over some files in most cases), and treats both of these
types of things in the same way. I don't see why would anyone make such a
mistake.

--
Matma Rex