I can see those images in the CSS  file that results after this call as
background images on the default skin of es.wikipedia. They look correct in
the CSS:

http://bits.wikimedia.org/es.wikipedia.org/load.php?debug=false&lang=es&modules=ext.gadget.a-commons-directo%2Cimagenesinfobox%2CrefToolbar%7Cext.uls.nojs%7Cext.visualEditor.viewPageTarget.noscript%7Cext.wikihiero%7Cmediawiki.legacy.commonPrint%2Cshared%7Cmediawiki.skinning.interface%7Cmediawiki.ui.button%7Cskins.vector.styles&only=styles&skin=vector&*

The likely explanation could be that there is some syntax issue (that only
appears on windows?) on the data image path specified by us in the css and
thus some less forgiving browsers are not interpreting the image in the css
as a "data" url but rather as a regular one and then the url is composed as
if it was a relative url (using the current domain) and fetched (or tried
to fetch)

That is, some browsers on windows are interpreting data urls as if they
were like this:
background-url:url('/some/relative/path')

In any case that fetch should be a 404 so the thing we should probably
think of fixing  going forward is not counting 404 urls in pageviews.