On 8 Jun 2014, at 17:22, James Forrester <jforres...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
— Krinkle

> On Sunday, June 8, 2014, Martijn Hoekstra <martijnhoeks...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Jun 8, 2014 at 1:18 AM, Martijn Hoekstra <
>> martijnhoeks...@gmail.com <javascript:;>>

>> That seems a fundamental mistake. A discussion isn't a tree, it's a dag at
>> best. It's possible for a single comment in a discussion to refer to zero
>> or more earlier comments,
>

> Flow stores each discussion as a tree, with a Flow "Board" being a forest
> of discussions for precisely this reason.
>

>> and it's also possible for a single comment to
>> refer to part of an earlier comment, which means a comment isn't an
>> indivisable node.
>

> Hmm. I'm not convinced that there has ever been a successful/useful/good
> discussion system that encouraged sub-comment structured replies. In my
> experience they are unusable morrasses of confusion. Instead, a lightweight
> quoting tool achieves the specificity at the least complexity and greatest
> clarity for users.
>
> I could be convinced otherwise, but it'd need to be a fairly stunning
> design concept.
>
> J.

Throughout the years I've had to use at many different incarnations of
conversation workflows. Such as:
* Inline comments (such as on StackOverflow).
* Issues trackers (like Bugzila or GitHub Issues).
* Mailing threads (as rendered by Gmail or Apple Mail, both for 1-on-1 threads
and those from mailing lists).
* Helpdesk ticket systems.
* Disqus.
* Feedback systems (like GetSatisfaction and UserEcho).
* WordPress comments.
* LiquidThreads.
* Your typical 90s-style forum board (like phpBB or vBulletin).
* ..

And I can't really come to any conclusion other than that the user experience
is significantly worse when any of these used a tree structure (especially
LiquidThreads and forum boards). It always ends up a mess.

Fortunately, most of these have now either exclusively opted for a linear model
or have an option to view it as a linear model (I think LiquidThread is the
only exception on this list). Some systems, like Disqus and WordPress comments,
handle it by only allowing a very limited number of nesting levels, though I'm
not convinced this is useful.

I agree with James and feel that having a good system for citing would
significantly increase user experience more than any tree structure ever would
(and having a tree of any kind always negatively impacts user experience).

-- Timo