On 6 June 2014 16:28, S Page <sp...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 4:24 PM, Juergen Fenn <
> schneeschme...@googlemail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > You might like to
> > know, though, that on German Wikipedia most discussions about Flow
> > seem to focus on how to turn it off or how to keep it out of the
> > project altogether. Switching to Flow would require a community
> > consensus anyway. So could you please consider a global switch for
> > communities that would rather like to disable these new features
> > completely.
> >

> Technically, the Flow extension first has to be installed on a wiki, and
> then Flow is enabled on particular talk pages or classes of talk pages on
> that wiki (currently 18 pages on production wikis). After a mis-step on
> meta-wiki, we seek consensus on both steps. Currently both are PHP changes;
> the Flow team is figuring out how the second will work in the future. We
> have no plans to install Flow on German Wikipedia let alone on any
> particular talk page, so your discussions can focus on other issues.
>
> The tone of your message made me want to cry, quit my job, and punch the
> wall in frustration  :(  But I appreciate you being open about your dislike
> and suspicion of Flow, and can only hope that over time Flow's growing
> feature set leads users to *want* it enabled on the talk pages they visit.

Spage, please don't take the criticism of the product to be a criticism of
you or your own work. It's really not about you, or even necessarily about
Flow,  it's about a much bigger picture.

Flow is a product that wasn't asked for, is intended to do things that
people didn't ask it to do, and is a fundamentally different user interface
than the two major ones we already have (Mediawiki and VisualEditor).
Thus, it is adding complexity to the editing experience that does not
currently exist. Mediawiki may be difficult to learn, but it's only one
interface. VisualEditor, an interface the community has been seeking for
over 10 years, gives a visual result that, from the perspective of the
editor, is still a wiki-page; it may work somewhat differently, but it
still looks like a wiki.

There were four problems with talk/discussion pages that users across
multiple communities over multiple years have identified:

   - Automatic signatures for posts/edits
   - More efficient method for indenting that is not dependent on arcane
   wikicode knowledge
   - More graceful handling of edit conflicts
   - Ability to watchlist an individual thread or section of a page

The first two could undoubtedly be done in Mediawiki; we already have bots
that add signatures automatically, for example, and it should be elementary
to create an "indent" button that goes in the same line as the other
editing icons currently in use.  The third point has already had
significant work, although more can be done there.  I have had several
experienced Mediawiki developers say that the fourth point is possible but
very difficult.  In other words, given sufficient focus, effort, talent and
willingness, these issues are all likely to be solvable without creating a
new user interface that wasn't requested and is visually divorced from wiki
editing.  Now, I know it's a lot more interesting and exciting to create
something new than it is to make major renovations to something that
already exists, and I'm pretty sure after all these years that Mediawiki
code is a mess.  But I've increasingly been getting the impression that
there aren't a lot of WMF staff who actually like wikis, let alone
developing Mediawiki core.  (Even if that impression is not correct, it's
out there and it's based on conversations with WMF engineering staff.)

Meanwhile, Flow does automatic signatures, but its current design actually
makes indenting much more problematic from a reader perspective than the
current indenting structure.  It's difficult to tell which post is being
responded to, who's responding to whom, the responses don't thread well,
and it's not possible to rethread a discussion.  Edit conflicts don't
exist, but they result in odd threading of responses. It's not obvious how
to watch specific threads at this point, or how one would make it
possible.   In other words, it's not really doing a great job of solving
three of the four issues that have long been seen as problems.  Meanwhile,
it's introduced new issues, many of which users have identified as
problematic: endless scrolling, inability to archive, inability to
completely remove a thread from a page without actual deletion and/or
suppression, categorization issues, complex process to find, create, and
edit page headers, etc.

There was always an underlying assumption that the benefit of having a
large number of engineers working together under the direction and
leadership of the WMF would result in a much more consistent process for
creating products, better prioritization, and more cross-product
consistency.  Instead, what we are seeing is that each product team is
working in a silo.  Common UI issues are being addressed differently across
products, increasing the complexity of editing for both new and experienced
users.  There's no overall integration of the design process, and there
really doesn't seem to be a serious master plan that goes into detail about
cross-product integration.  Yes, there's the roadmap, but it's all
individual product teams working on their own product, with very little
cross-pollination.  In other words, this is a leadership issue that is
playing out repeatedly across each product line, and it's pretty much the
same issue over and over again, just focused on a different product. It's
not the fault of the back-room engineers; it's at the PM level and above.

Risker/Anne