On 11 Jun 2014, at 22:05, Antoine Musso <hashar+...@free.fr> wrote:

>> This is one of my pet peeves. It's one thing to have to install
>> dependencies to run MediaWiki, but having to install various dependencies
>> just to *install* it? Ugh!
>>
>> Composer is a first step. [..]
>
> composer is being more and more used in the PHP world and I see it as
> essentially replacing Pear that probably nobody is going to regret. [..]

True, composer should be easier to work with than PEAR[1].

However, afaik we never depended on any PEAR packages.
We either shipped them (Services_JSON), provided a fallback or made the feature
optional / in an extension.

-- Krinkle

[1] Easier to instal because it requires less permissions since it uses local
directory. Easier to deploy because of this. And managed with a manifest in
composer.json instead of reading a manual of sorts etc.