I _thought_ someone was working on getting it to just work.  For now,
though, if you start with a clean machine you can run the commands here:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:PHP_unit_testing/Installing_PHPUnit#Using_PEAR
to get it installed.  Make sure the use the pear commands because it'll get
you phpunit 3.7.X.  phpunit 4.0 doesn't work for us mediawiki.  Anyway,
after following the pear commands inside your vagrant VM phpunit should
work.

Nik