On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 4:28 PM, Tyler Romeo <tylerro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Therefore, I thought it may be beneficial to take that over to Wikipedia
> and start our own
> bug bounty program. Most likely, it would be strictly a hall of fame like
> structure where
> people would be recognized for submitting bug reports (maybe we could even
> use the
> OpenBadges extension *wink* *wink*). It would help by increasing the
> number of bugs
> (both security and non-security) that are found and reported to us.
>
> Any thoughts?

Some time ago I ran a number of public exercises testing various aspects of
Wikipedia. I ran into a number of issues:

1) It takes a lot of preparation and time spent to do well.
2) Essentially 100% of bugs reported by naive reporters are DUPLICATE,
WONTFIX, or are in the backlog of some feature already.
3) Reporting bugs directly in bugzilla creates a lot of noise and annoys
people who monitor traffic there. (Mozilla runs things like this from time
to time, from them I learned to have people report in a separate system
e.g. etherpad or email, and have someone triage and sort the reports before
creating Bugzilla tickets, see point 1) above.)

Google, who spends a lot of money doing stuff like this for security
exploits, narrows the circumstances radically:
http://www.chromium.org/Home/chromium-security/pwnium-4 .