On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 5:49 PM, Alex Monk <kren...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Chris, why don't we leave privacy policy compliance to the users posting on
> the bug? Wikimedia personal user data shouldn't be going to the security
> product.

There are a few cases where there may be legitimate private data in a
security bug ("look, sql injection, and here are some rows from the
user table!", "Hey, this was supposed to be suppressed, and I can see
it", "This user circumvented the block on this IP"). But there might
be ways to flag or categorize a report as also including private data?
Someone with more bugzilla experience would need to comment.

> Why does WMF get the right to control by access to MediaWiki security bugs
> anyway? Could we not simply host MediaWiki stuff externally? Perhaps on the
> servers of any other major MediaWiki user.

This certainly could be done. That "other major MediaWiki user" would
have to be someone everyone trusts, and preferably with a strong track
record of being able to keep their infrastructure secure. If there's a
legitimate proposal to try it, let's definitely discuss.