> I would imagine that we would see a big drop in registered accounts if IPs
> were hashed.

Why? Most casual web users don't even know what an IP address is, let alone
what their own address is. In fact the evolution of browsers tends to even
hide the URL. This is the sort of technical information that an
ever-shrinking portion of web users know about these days.

an alternative scheme that makes things more readable

A hash can take many forms. In fact it could be formatted just like an IP
address. Even if the hash format mixes letters and numbers, as long as the
length is similar, I don't see how IP addresses are superior in terms of
readability.