++the EFF for more ideas, they are actively doing great work on so-called
perfect forward secrecy.

There are simple things we could do to achieve a better balance between
privacy and sockpantsing, such as cryptolog [1], in which IP addresses are
hashed using a salt that changes every day.  In theory, nobody can reverse
the function to reveal the IP, but you can still correlate all of an
address's edits for the day, week, or whatever, making CheckUser possible.

IP range blocking obviously needs to happen up-front, before the IP is
mangled.  I have no suggestions, but maybe browser and preferences
fingerprinting would be more effective anyway, since: tor.

-Adam

[1] https://git.eff.org/?p=cryptolog.git;a=summary