Support can mean either depending on the context.

Most of this is uncontroversial, but I found it useful to think through and
sum up.

From a platform perspective to support a browser means that the user
experience is considered acceptable, tested against, and we're committed to
keeping it that way (which may mean moving a browser or mediawiki feature from
one Grade to another). Don't forget that there's a lot more to our platform
than javascript execution!

Supporting users of browsers we provide a javascript-less experience still
requires a lot of things to work; such as:

* Content delivery. (Can't require HTTP features that don't work, e.g. some
sites require every user to be in a session with an ID and for new visitors
they respond with an empty page that sets session cookies based and refreshes
to display the real page, we couldn't do that if we want to support browsers
without cookies or with cookies disabled.)
* Enough styles for the page to be usable. (Let's say background-image were
new in CSS3, then we couldn't exclusively have a design with white text on a
background image without a fallback colour to ensure the text is readable
without that image.)
* HTML implementation. (Say a supported browser doesn't allow relative urls in
a <form> action attribute, we'd have to make it an absolute url.)
* Character encoding. (If certain unicode literals aren't interpreted
properly, we may have to explicitly encode them.)
* We'd commit to doing our best to keep their stuff secure (e.g. while we may
patch against a browser-specific CSRF exploit for an unsupported browser out
of the goodness of our hearts, we pretty much have to if it affects a
supported browser).

All these areas and more do in fact have problems we account for, but I think
we've been at it long enough that we've got these bases covered in MediaWiki
and in our web servers and caching proxies. However as we keep introducing new
backend code and iterate our infrastructure, we need to ensure we don't miss
anything.

-- Timo