On 10 aug. 2014, at 14:27, Erik Moeller <e...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> However, we've clarified in a number of venues that use of the
> MediaWiki: namespace to disable site features is unacceptable. If such
> a conflict arises, we're prepared to revoke permissions if required.
> This protection level provides an additional path to manage these
> situations by preventing edits to the relevant pages (we're happy to
> help apply any urgent edits) until a particular situation has calmed
> down.

I agree that the current situation is basically something that grew
historically that is no longer sustainable. For a long time this was not really
a problem and good faith made it work regardless of how broken it was, but when
it is used for manipulation, then action is required.

This is not a new thing, but perhaps a clarification that was long over due
(and one we perhaps we shied away from too long). We need to collaborate to
iterate and improve the software for our movement. I'm the first to support the
fact that we have not been able to do that in the past for many reasons. We are
now becoming more capable, but we will also still be making a lot of mistakes
from various roles, while building the actual feedback loop required to perfect
this process. BUT that is a separate issue and there are different venues for
that, which are not Common.js -like methodologies.

DJ ,
Volunteer developer