For accessing the git server, you should check that
1) "git remote show origin" (or "git remote show gerrit" - depends on your
git-review version + config) returns ssh://<gerrit user>@
gerrit.wikimedia.org:29418/<project name> as the push & fetch URL
2) "ssh -p 29418 <gerrit user>@gerrit.wikimedia.org" returns something like
"Welcome to Gerrit Code Review"

If the first does not work, there are problems with your git-review config
(maybe check the [gitreview] section in your ~/.gitconfig).
If the second does not work, ssh authentication is not set up correctly
(key forwarding is not enabled or the right key is not available). This
could also be the reason for the hook not working as git-review tries to
load it via scp.