Marc A. Pelletier wrote:
>But there is also a great heap of anecdotal data that shows that having
>to provide an email account increases the barrier of entry to users
>signing up.  So, there's a tradeoff.

Eh, I think the anecdotal data (such as Facebook's and Google's hundreds
of millions account registrations) suggests that e-mail confirmation is
not a huge barrier to entry for legitimate users.

>Spambots (of which there are multitude, and that hammer any mediawiki
>site constantly) have gotten pretty good at bypassing captchas but have
>yet to respond properly to email loops (and that's a more complicated
>obstacle than first appears; throwaway accounts are cheap but any
>process that requires a delay - however small - means that spambot must
>now maintain state and interact rather than fire-and-forget).

Hmmm, I imagine many spambots have already made this investment if they're
dealing with popular systems that require e-mail address confirmation.

Wikimedia is different. You shouldn't even need an account to edit, much
less an e-mail address. But this is a philosophical and principle-based
(principled, if you will!) decision, not really a user experience or
technical decision, in my opinion.

I think calling this issue a sacred cow is a bit overblown, but requiring
an e-mail address would be a violation of our shared values. We strive to
be as open and independent as possible and requiring an e-mail address is
antithetical to that. If anything, we could provide e-mail address aliases
(e.g., mzmcbr...@en.wikipedia.org) for our users as a side benefit.

MZMcBride