On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 8:04 PM, Rob Lanphier <ro...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> On the leadership front, let me throw out a hypothetical:  should we
> have MediaWiki 2.0, where we start with an empty repository and build
> up?  If so, who makes that decision?  If not, what is our alternative
> vision?  Who is going to define it?  Is what we have good enough?

Let's throw out that hypothetical, because it's too grotesque even as a
conversation starter.

The model I do think we should consider is Python 3. Python 3 did not
jettison the Python 2 codebase. The intent behind the major version change
was to open up a parallel development track in which it was permissible to
break backward-compatibility in the name of making a substantial
contribution to the coherence, elegance and utility of the language.

Python 3 development started with PEP-3000[1], which Guido published in
2006, some fifteen years after the initial public release of Python.
MediaWiki has been around for almost as long, and it has been subjected to
rather extraordinary stressors during that time.